Family Mediation Training Services
Our focus at Family Mediation Training Ontario (FTMO) is Family Dispute Resolution Training. Training with FMTO will result in practical and accessible skills for success in the Family Dispute Resolution field.
Family Mediation Courses
We offer the following courses:
- Family Relations
- Fundamentals of Family Mediation
- Screening for Domestic Violence and Power Imbalance
- Family Law
- Advanced Family Mediation Skills
- Family Arbitration
FMTO has gained a reputation for being unique in its approach to training. The trainers are passionate about what they do and prefer to teach in a concentrated learning environment to provide the best learning experience possible. With a maximum of 12 students in a class, the trainers are able to provide personal attention ensuring the students thrive, both in class and in practice.
Family Mediation Trainers
The trainers at FMTO are exceptional in their field and have been working as trainers in Family Mediation for over 20 years.
Richard Shields developed the Certificate in Family Mediation at York University; he chaired a committee to update the education and training criteria for the Accredited Family Mediation (AccFM) designation offered by the Ontario Association for Family Mediation (OAFM); and he assumed the principal role in the development of the education criteria for the Certified Specialist in Family Mediation (FDRP Med) and Certified Specialist in Family Arbitration (FDRP Arb) designations offered by the Family Dispute Resolution Institute of Ontario (FDRIO).
What to Expect
Training with FMTO will offer an experiential learning pedagogy combining a mix of presentations, demonstrations, role-playing and other interactive exercises. The topics covered will provide learning in the following areas of family mediation practice:
- Understanding alternative dispute resolution processes, in particular, family mediation, for the purpose of assisting prospective participants in making an informed choice;
- Interviewing prospective participants and screening them for participation;
- Preparing a Family Mediation Agreement and other documents required for family mediation;
- Opening the mediation, facilitating storytelling, forming an Agenda, and creating a process plan;
- Facilitating problem-solving and developing comprehensive settlement agreements;
- Preparing a Memorandum of Understanding or Mediation Report.
Who Should Attend Family Mediation Training
We invite participants who are looking to become accredited or certified family mediators to participate in FMTO training.
The training will require 133 hours (18 days) to complete as prescribed by OAFM and FDRIO. Completing FMTO training will satisfy the education criteria for the AccFM and FDRP Med designations.
If Family Mediation is your chosen career path, we encourage you to join us for your training.